The police chief has resigned. What happens now?

The police chief has resigned. What happens now?

Only $3 for 13 weeks
field 1.jpg

Mooresville Police Chief Damon Williams expressed his thanks to the community for their support. Behind him were the K9 officers and their dogs who were all present for the ceremony.

Damon Williams, placed on paid leave as the Mooresville Police Department chief in June, has submitted his resignation, a news release from the town indicated.

Williams submitted the letter of resignation to Town Manager Randy Hemann Thursday afternoon.

The resignation is effective immediately.

Williams was on leave with pay after an investigation was launched into hostile work environment complaints. Captain David Call, who was also placed on leave with pay in July, remains on leave but employed by the department.

Hemann said there was no severance for Williams and the town would develop a timetable next week for filling the position. Acting Chief Ron Campurciani has a contract through December.

Mooresville Commissioner Bobby Compton said Thursday evening he was notified by Hemann about Williams’ resignation around 5 p.m. Compton had no other information on why Williams resigned or the ongoing investigation at the police department. Compton said he believed Campurciani would stay as long as he could “until something is resolved”.

The report by independent agency U.S. ISS Agency of Huntersville was submitted to the Town of Mooresville Oct. 2. The human resources director is the only custodian of the full report. All decisions on any changes are made by the supervisor to whom the employees report. Elected officials do not receive a copy of the 5,000-page report because it deals with personnel issues. Those seeing the report summary are the human resources director, town attorney and town manager.

“We continue to work through the investigative report and are working diligently to bring resolution to multiple personnel issues within the department as quickly as possible,” Hemann stated in an email from the town.

No part of the report will be made publicly available as it all deals with personnel, according to town attorney Sharon Crawford. 

The investigation has been costly as the outside agency’s investigation combined with the salaries of those impacted. The investigation itself is approved to cost up to $225,000 and took eight months to complete. Williams collected his annual salary in excess of $100,000 for the more than five months he was on paid leave. Call is also on paid leave with an annual salary of $76,308. Campurciani’s six-month contract would net out to $135,000 a year.

The resignation comes on the heels of a recent shakeup in the department’s command staff.

Originally appointed acting chief after Williams’ was placed on leave, Gerald Childress was recently demoted to patrol officer as was Ron Chilton, formerly a major with the department.

Williams joined the Mooresville Police Department in 2016 after serving as the Tarboro chief. He has been serving in a volunteer capacity with the Taylortown Police Department, where he was previously a chief.

Kate Stevens contributed to this story.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.